Many dog trainers agree that dog parents should have crates in their homes that their dogs can occupy to mimic the safety that they feel in cave-like spaces.
Metal crates can look a bit like prison cells. If you’ve ever wished you could find a cute, less jail-like spot for your pooch to retreat to, you’ll love these DIY dog crate plans!
Read on to see how to build a dog crate from wood for your canine to relax and snooze in. It’s easier than you might think to build your own dog crate.
DIY Dog Crate Plans
Adorable-Home shares instructions to make a stylish and comfy custom dog house that your dog will love. It also doubles as a modern piece of decor in your home.
This DIY dog kennel is a fashion statement as well as a comfortable dwelling.
- 4’ by 8’ sheet of ¼” birch veneer plywood
- 2x3s and 2x2s to make the angled support blocks
- cordless drill
- circular saw
Adorable-Home says that this project is somewhat easy. If you follow their detailed tutorial you should be able to build it.
The final product is modern, light and welcoming.
Heather’s Handmade Life converted a metal crate into a dog crate end table DIY by building a wooden frame around it and placing a piece of wood on top.
Heather says this indoor dog kennel is easy and she completed in one day.
This pretty dog crate furniture saves space by serving as an end table, while offering your fur baby a cozy retreat.
- 12 1 X 2 wood planks for rectangle frame above and below the metal crate
- 1 X 4s for cover
- Sand paper
- Jigsaw or
- Circular saw
Doggie Designer has a basic dog house blueprint. You can make the simplest version of the dog house or add other elements to pamper your pooch.
Doggie Designer says this is a relatively easy project.
Treat the plywood with a preserver or use another type of wood or asphalt for the roof if you live in a damp area.
Here’s what you’ll need to build your best fur friend a dog crate from wood.
- 2 X 4 plywood
- Wood screws
- Straw, blankets or bed
- Asphalt or weather-treatment for roof
This beautiful domicile is by The Carpenter’s Daughter. It is difficult to build.
It’s made of plywood and needs a preserver coat in humid locations.
Partial Materials List:
- 2 x sheets of 59 feet of hardwood plywood (2,440 x 1,220) –Take advantage of a store’s free cutting service and reduced width to 2,953 feet so you can fit it in your car.
- 3 x C16 CLS treated timber (1.5 x 2.5 inches) for the base frame – if buying untreated, you’ll need a preserver.
Partial Tool List:
- Erbauer Cordless Circular Saw, comes with blade already set up
- Cordless Erbauer Jigsaw comes with a selection of blades
- Erbauer Cordless Multi Tool to sand and cut wood
Do you have a DIY dog crate or dog house to share?
Send it to leo(@)cyberdog.com. And if you have more than one dog, you can find double dog kennel DIY dog crate plans online.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to build your own crate, just click on CyberPet’s 5 Best Dog Crates for Reliability and Comfort article and choose one there.
Now you know how to make a dog cage at home. Building a special crate or dog house with your own hands is a great way to express your love for your pooch.